Monday 9 October 2017

Minor Project | Experiment Set Development


After a discussion with Phil concerning the next few steps of my project, A few different avenues are still available for me to go down, whether that be centred around animation or installation. With this in mind, I'm continuing on with my tests, now combining the deform tools of bend and twist together, as it was clear that the twist function could create much more interesting results when linked with another already applied tool. 

An aspect of the models I have already created that I want to explore more exists within the broken faces/edges of the various sculptures, these flipped or reversed faces have often been something to actively avoid when modelling and in keeping with the motives of my project I instead want to, as Phil said "Hang a lamp on it".

With the combining of the two different deformation tools comes a much larger opportunity to have an effect on the causation of these, as I'm calling them, rips. As the two different tools combine, the different models geometry struggles to cope with the drastic changes in its structure and essentially tears, making for moments that I want to highlight upon and force into a limelight that the software doesn't want it to be in.   


After some different tests that promote and encourage these results, that will mostly follow the same formula as the previous experiments (evenly increasing different variables), I'm going to take the different chronological models into After Effects or Premiere in an attempt to create an even more detailed creation which has stemmed from logical steps taken from its most pure form.

After spending so much time taking logical steps to reach a new point in a model's aesthetic, I'm keen to carry this formula into After Effects, taking different values from the models essential structure and plugging them into different tools in After Effects that can encourage further results that stem from an identical methodology. The results of these experiments that begin to tread in the lands of a different software will ultimately determine future steps these creations take, if the results suggest that the models thrive in an animation based environment then they will continue to exist in that realm, if not, then different software will be ventured into, potentially concerning audio as to help craft a richer environment for these models to own.

These next few images are an example of the kinds of renders I can take from the models I've created so far, this model in particular (depicted above also) has both the bend and twist deform tool applied to it and has a curvature of 500 and a start angle of 500...


After initially liking the look of these first few renders I decided to take a few playblasts of these creations forming to see what the process looks like in real time...


This first look at what my creations look like as living forms is extremely encouraging in terms of future process' and could definitely have an impact on the next few methods I use to create my structures.

2 comments:

  1. As per our discussion today :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musique_concrète

    ReplyDelete