Wednesday 27 September 2017

Minor project | Technique Development

After shifting my idea it's become clear that I need to find an effective way of controlling my experiments so that there are limitations to each set, but also physically showing these on my blog whilst communicating what the specific brief for each set actually is. Phil suggested looking at glaze tests as a way of successfully presenting my experiments and making them identifiable...


I think that these tests show an effective way of showcasing experiments and with a few changes could suit the work that I'm planning on making, I also looked at microscope slides as a way of labelling and presenting what I create, both could potentially lead to a possible aesthetic for this project.

These tests that I posted from my previous project are starting to knock on the door of a possible method of showing my work...


With clearer differentiation and labelling that communicates the limits and tools of each brief this method could begin to house the pieces I create from this project.

I'm currently considering designing each brief with a different set of tools, or technique in Maya, and a different aim, for example one set of models could all be given a time constraint of 20 minutes per model, an aim of being modelled into a human hand and a limit of only using the extrude tool. This could not only lead to an interesting pipeline but also a varied set of end results that would work well as a series. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey Lewis - okay, just following up on our corridor chat today - so this was the term/concept I couldn't say...

    Mimesis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimesis

    Also - as discussed, the debate around representation vs the medium of representation (i.e. why are we using Maya to re-make aesthetics of other things or emulate realism, for example) situates within the 'crisis of representation' in painting triggered by the invention of the camera - artists were forced to consider 'the point' of their practice if representation was no longer the pinnacle of art etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil, I really thought that what we talked is in essence exactly what I'm trying to represent in the work I create for this project, as ideas you mentioned around Mimesis are extremely relevant in the work I'm beginning to shape for this project.

    ReplyDelete