Tuesday 26 September 2017

Minor Project | Idea Development\Shift


After a long and in depth with discussion with Phil it became apparent that this major project would be more successful if the focus was on something slightly different, as my dislike for Maya itself could potentially lead to a more engaging and rewarding end result.

  I'm planning to create a serious of different moments in Maya that express my anger towards the software and the ways in which I feel it prohibits me as someone trying to create work that I personally find interesting, much like these pieces of instillation art... 


I'm keen to highlight "the ugly side" of Maya in my work, the little breaks and glitches that occur when trying to model in the software, something that gets overlooked or resolved by most working in Maya when in fact its actually some of the most pure work created.


 Today I created a number of models within a time limit of ten minutes, not allowing myself to fix the problems that occurred to the structure when put through various tools I hadn't really worked with before, I'm very happy with what I've created so far but want to push it to be more "broken"!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lewis :) Good - you sound strong and purposeful here - I like that. Really important to the ongoing articulation of this project is that you 'write-up' your various briefs and find a means to archive what you're doing. For example, you allude here to your 'various tools' and also to the fact that you were trying to model something, but what you don't establish is what you were trying to model and using which tools in particular. Just like a good science project, you need a baseline by which to gauge, measure and reflect upon your findings. I suggest you not only lock down a single model or object that you're trying to recreate each time (the baseline) but also very clearly establish which tools you're using. A sort of equivalent of what I'm trying to express here are the 'glaze tests' that ceramics put together and accumulate over time, which is their research and development into the chemical interactions and colour/texture combos generated by various glazes:

    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ee/9e/c1/ee9ec1604d35006ca006b010af957c2d--ceramic-glaze-recipes-glazes-for-pottery-recipes.jpg

    http://www.emilymyers.com/techniques/images/glaze-test.jpg

    https://sites.google.com/a/yarmouthschools.org/laurenbceramics1s14/_/rsrc/1393865073991/paper-relief-sculpture/IMG_5222.JPG?height=307&width=400

    The rules and write-up of your development is key to a project like this finding its legitimacy and its respective 'pipeline' - it will distinguish your R&D from simple 'doodling' in this sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil, okay I'm going to try and find an effective way of both detailing my own mini brief and showcasing the models! I'm not sure whether or not it would be a good idea to stick to one theme for the whole series or to change after each 'experiment'?

    ReplyDelete