Saturday 21 October 2017

Minor Project | Project Development & Growth


After more feedback from Phil concerning the flatness of my renders, I've decided to return to the more experimental modelling process I was developing beforehand, this time with the idea of growth in mind. By encouraging natural deformations and growths in Maya I can create models that harbor both their natural primitive forms and their altered partners, much like the idea of barnacles or coral.


With these references in mind I will create a new series of models focusing on this idea, all working in the same format as the deformation renders that explored the ideas around progressively deforming an object.

I'm currently thinking that the same deformation method could help me create these kinds of natural deformations, potentially playing through the cycle of change as short clips of animation.  

                                     (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_9qwpzVBQ)

           
                       (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prBaZzYmQrI)


This last reference (Panda Bear) perfectly illustrates the kinds of deformations I want to encourage in my models, potentially even experimenting with colour also. I'm unsure of the method used to create the deformations in this video but would be rather grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'm thinking that it could be deformations working in lattice structures potentially? 

After the previous experiments that focused on render layers and post edits, of which not all successful, the next steps in my project will focus on these new models being made and then their deformations being animated to show the exact change in their geometry.

3 comments:

  1. saw this, thought of you:
    https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/paul-stephenson-after-warhol-prints-art-261017?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+itsnicethat%2FSlXC+%28It%27s+Nice+That%29

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEWIS!!! You need to watch this now!!!!

    http://www.stashmedia.tv/alan-warburton-cgs-uncanny-valley/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so interesting! I loved the use of the workspace as an aesthetic for the video! it helped keep the extravagance of the CG at bay!

    ReplyDelete