Tuesday 30 January 2018

Major Project | Experimentation


In light of the current alterations to the methods surrounding my major project, I decided to conduct a short experiment to see how possible my material based workflow would be. Below are the results of taking the melting, boiling and freezing points of glass in degrees Celsius and plugging them into a bend deformer's curvature value, that model was then used as a shrink wrap for a new primitive sphere, allowing me to create impressions of these values on a 3D shape...


By doing this short experiment I was able to determine a number of things. Firstly, not every material will possess every property in an applicable form, as glass doesn't have a freezing point as such it doesn't make for a particularly interesting end result, something I'm not worried about as my project will deal with values and results rather than decoration.

Secondly, whereas most properties have numerical values that I can use to craft my deformations, values such as breaking points do not, making it difficult to find any data to plug into the Maya deformation.

This second factor has made me think about what properties I want to bring into Maya. As melting, boiling and freezing seem to be the most appropriate properties I am going to work with just those for the moment, creating a catalogue of shapes that display these properties in a physical state.  

No comments:

Post a Comment